Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Chinese Chicken Salad (from Aunt Janet Ausmus)

I got this recipe several years ago from my Aunt Janet Ausmus.  I always remember her making really tasty food when we were there, but this recipe really stood out for me and I have been making it ever since.  It has the same effect on the people I have shared it with..It has just the right blend of sweet, sour and salty and is especially tasty in the summertime with a side of fresh melons or berries or both!  To top it off it hardly takes any time to make and I usually have all the ingredients around to whip it up.  I made it tonight for dinner with my husband and myself and when my son found out I was making it he said he was grabbing the leftovers for his lunch at work tomorrow!  Grant it, it will be wilty by then, but no one in our family seems to mind!  Here's the picture and recipe below:


CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD:

In a large frying pan, add 4 smaller or 2-3 large boneless chicken breasts (you can use bone in, it's just a little more work/time to cook and clean and dice the meat later). Sprinkle lightly with a little salt and pepper and powdered ginger.  Add a small amount of water so they don't scorch and simmer until meat is completely cooked through.  Don't overcook so it's dry though.  Remove from pan.  Rinse out pan, dry and spray the bottom with Pam and heat to medium.  Add 1/4 cup sesame seeds and about 4 oz of sliced almonds.  Toast until lightly browned, stirring constantly..WATCH these carefully.. they burn easily.  Set aside to cool. 

In a large bowl, thinly slice a head of iceberg lettuce (regular lettuce), dice up chicken in small cubes and add to the bowl.  Add almonds, sesame seeds, 4 green onions, cleaned and finely chopped, and 1 cup of chow mein noodles.  (This is a good use for you little bits of leftover noodles when you get Chow mein takeout).. 

In a small saucepan make the dressing:
4 Tablespoons white vinegar
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon Accent
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook until dissolved.  cool.  Put in a blender with 1/2 salad oil (vegetable oil) and blend until smooth.  If you don't have a blender you can just use a whisk or fork and whip it together also.

Pour over ingredients in the large bowl, toss and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment