Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Six Ingredient Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

It felt like a tomato soup day today since fall is in the air and I was in a hurry and wanted a quick supper..I have made this soup lots of times and vary it all the time..sometimes I add a little carmelized onion, sometimes some carrots for more heartiness, but it's always good.  Tonight my guys had hotdogs with it, but I have made grilled cheeses or just crackers.  I, myself, just like a good chunk of bread with butter to dip in it!

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
-I got the recipe from Taste of Home a while back, but changed it a little to suit my tastes.

2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes (or fresh, peeled, cored and finely chopped tomatoes to equal about 2 quarts). 

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth.  (I used "Better than Broth chicken base-about 2 heaping Tbsps and add 2 cups of water-can add more base later if you think it needs more flavor).

18 fresh basil leaves, rinsed and finely chopped (I also have mixed fresh with a little dried).

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup butter.

DIRECTIONS:
In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil, reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add basil and sugar.  Reduce heat to low; stir in sugar and butter, salt and pepper to taste.  serve when butter is melted. 

*If you like really creamy soup you can blend before adding the cream and butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment