Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Honey Wheat Bread in the bread machine

It's definitely Fall.  It's been really cool the last few days and even the thoughts of a nice fire in the woodstove have crossed my mind.  Instead I have been turning on the oven more and more and piling on more quilts on my bed in an attempt to convince myself that winter isn't coming at all this year.  We've had 2 in a row that have been awful..long, cold and extremely snowy and I am afraid it's going to be another one this year.  If I didn't have to drive 42 miles to work through the Twin Cities I might not mind quite as much but...

Anyway, enough whining..today to warm up the house a little I decided to  make my bread machine (partially anyway, you can do it completely in there, but I have a super old machine and only use it to make the dough and then pop it in a bread pan to rise again and then bake-works out much better than the cylinder thick crusted stuff it would make).  It's a really non-dry, tasty wheat bread that makes awesome sandwiches and my whole family likes it a lot. 

HONEY WHEAT BREAD:
Put in your machine in the order listed:
1/2 cup milk-I use whole milk in this for the fat content)
1/2 cup water
warm these in a bowl in the microwave until just warm-not hot

1 egg that you've swished a little with a fork to break it up

3 Tablespoons honey

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine that is room temperature

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

2 cups white flour

1 cup wheat flour

2-1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast

run your machine on either the dough setting or completely if you are not going to put it in a bread pan..if you use the pan, form into a loaf, put in a pan sprayed with Pam, spray the top of the loaf with a little Pam and cover with handi-wrap.  set it in a warm area, away from drafts, (if it's cool in the house I turn on the oven to 350 to warm up to bake it and set the bread on top of the stove..rises pretty quickly to about 1 inch above the top of the pan..remove wrap and bake for 40 minutes..then remove from pan, baste the top with some butter and let cool on the wrap covered with a dishtowel until ready to eat.  Makes a big loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment