Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Making peach pies (and an apple that happened to pop in too!)

Well, being that we were in Colorado, and it's peach season, AND I love Colorado peaches I bought some..

Therefore, once I got home I,  of course, had to make peach pies!  (and one apple, just because)..so I am posting my peach pie recipe!  First, I make the fruit filling which consists of:

4-1/2 cups fairly thin sliced peaches-you can use ones that are ripe or not quite there, about 8-9 of them..
5 Tablespoons of flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

(same recipe for the apple pie filling, but use 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar)
 
gently toss together until fruit is evenly coated.  set aside..
 
Next: Make the pie crust: don't be scared..it's easy if you have a good recipe.
 
PIE CRUST:
In a large bowl (I use a large Tupperware bowl) add
3 cups flour
1-1/4 cups Crisco (or lard)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
Mix together with a pastry blender until like the texture of cornmeal-the is important..it has to be thoroughly incorporated like this..
Next: combine in a small bowl:
1 egg, whisked with a fork,
1 teaspoon white vinegar
5-1/2 Tablespoons water

combine together and pour over the flour mixture you made..I use my pastry blender and move the flour into the wet mixture and then finish off with the "tools God gave me", my hands and finish mixing it together gently and form it into a smooth ball of dough.  cut this into 4 quarters for 4 crusts.  (I doubled my recipe because I was making 3 pies, so you would only have one ball)

The flatten one quarter into a saucer shape and on a well floured board roll it out, making sure the top surface is floured and the rolling pin to avoid sticking also..continue turning it if needed and rolling until it's a little larger than your pie pan, fold in half and slide you pie pan under it a little and flip it over into the pan..add your filling and dot with about 5 little blobs of butter, make a top crust and put it on top, trim the edges and crimp the top and bottom together for a tight seal.  make slits in the top to vent the pie.  at this point you can bake it at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, or you can do like I do and brush the top with a little melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar for a little added surprise to the crust.  After baking cool on a rack several hours until completely cool.  We are having some tonight with ice cream..yum and yum.  you can also double the crust and freeze circles of the pie crust to use later..just throw them in the fridge and roll out the pie crusts when you need them..that's what I did with my two extra ones today.  Then I can  make more pies or pot pies etc with the extras.

 


 
 


 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment