Search This Blog

Sunday, August 3, 2014

RICE HOTDISH

I'm still in the make-ahead meal mode, and my son, Joe, had mentioned that I should make rice hotdish, so today I made two small pans of it.  It makes a 9 x 13 pan normally, but there are only 3 of us generally eating, so I made it in two small pans so we can eat one tomorrow night for dinner and I can freeze one for a quick supper some night in the future.  This is a recipe you can alter according to  your personal tastes on veggies also.  I have done it the way I am posting, and also have added a can of Chinese mixed vegetables if I want it more like chow mein..you could definitely sprinkle some chow mein noodles on it too for a mock chow mein this way.  We like it the best as below.  It's great to bring to pot lucks as many of you probably have experienced.  we like it with bread and butter pickles and toast with peanut butter and jam, don't ask me why, we just do!  Here is the recipe: (oh, and if you have a small family, just half the recipe and buy the Campbell's cream of mushroom/chicken soup..it's perfect to use in this, one can and you don't waste anything!)

RICE HOTDISH:

Brown 1 lb of hamburger with a little finely chopped onion until well browned and thoroughly cooked.

Mix in a 9 x 13 cake pan or casserole dish:
1 cup raw white rice
2 stalks of celery chopped small
2 cleaned and diced carrots
a handful of small frozen peas
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups of water
add the hamburger and stir until mixed together pretty well.

Cover with aluminum foil, sealing edges well.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hours until rice is softened. 


No comments:

Post a Comment