Search This Blog

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Best Banana Bread

I had a couple of frozen bananas and in the next few weeks it will be the annual boys camping weekend with my son and grandson and then the annual girls weekend with one of my daughters and the two granddaughters, so I thought I'd make some banana bread to take with on both the trips for either an addition to breakfast or just to eat for a snack.  This recipe is very old, it was in my 4-H cookbook from the early 70's, but it is the best banana bread ever!  Very moist and bananay (my new word I invented).  I do variations on it a lot by adding mini chocolate chips or cherries and chips, nuts etc.  The only trick is you have to use buttermilk in it.  I many times use the powdered can of buttermilk and add the water to equal the 1/3 cup and that works fine, but it's the best with real buttermilk.  I am sure these loaves won't last long on our trips slathered with some butter or cream cheese frosting for a dessert type treat!

BEST BANANA BREAD:

1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 larger bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk

sift together:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
a pinch of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream sugar and butter together, add eggs, beat thoroughly until smooth.  add dry ingredients into creamed mixture, add buttermilk, mashed bananas and vanilla.  pour into 2 greased and floured bread pans, or 4 mini bread pans.  Baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  (Grand Champion recipe by original author and my grandson Kyle won a Blue ribbon on it also)

ADDENDUM:  I tried the recipe today, but omitted the nutmeg, added a little coconut, white chocolate chips, about half a jar of cut up, drained maraschino cherries, and some sliced almonds and it is really yummy.  it would be great at Christmas time with both the unflavored green and red cherries in it for brunch..fun variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment