Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Version of Chicken and Dumplings

There are a million and one versions of Chicken and dumplings, but I always have made them the same way.  The family all likes them and they are easy to make and something comforting on a cool day when either you have a ton to do at home or a day when you can kick back and find a craft or a good movie to watch for once!  Today it was actually a lot cooler in Minnesota than it's been so I decided chicken and dumplings was in store.  I had a lot of housework to catch up on and it could simmer away while I got things done..plus I kind of like the smell of a chicken and broth cooking on to of the stove..I know I will have something tasty later on after I am worn out from working. Here's how I put it together..

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS:

In a large "spaghetti pot" or steamer aka:

Fill the bottom kettle about 1/3 full of water, insert top strainer section and add one washed and cleaned out whole chicken.  add 1 small onion coarsely chopped, and 1-2 washed and chopped stalks of celery and 1-2 washed and chopped carrots with salt and pepper all over the chicken and two bay leaves.  Turn on high and once it starts to simmer reduce heat and let slowly simmer for 1-1/2 hours, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and starting to fall apart.  remove from heat and let it cool down so you can handle the chicken and the broth continues to strengthen.  Pull strainer from the pan (set it in a bowl or something so it doesn't drip all over, discarding carrots/celery, bay left and onion.  Debone Chicken, tossing bone, skin and gross parts..cut chicken into bite sized pieces and toss back into the broth.  Add two heaping Tablespoons of liquid chicken base from a jar (I use Better than Bouillon) or if you prefer 3-4 bouillon cubes to the liquid, some finely chopped celery, carrots and a handful of small frozen peas cooking until the veggies are tender.  Thicken with a mixture of cornstarch and water and add until it's slightly thickened, stirring constantly.  (I have also just added those packets of chicken gravy mix to thicken it all, and they work fine too..2 probably?)

Then I just pull out the box of Bisquick or Jiffy Mix and follow the directions on the box for making dumplings..these always turn out light and fluffy and we love them.  I serve with a side salad usually.



No comments:

Post a Comment