Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Experimental Refrigerator Pickles

I saw an old Facebook post they put on for me, on some refrigerator pickles I had made a few years ago..I kind of had forgotten about them and how good they taste with hot dishes or even on a sandwich, so decided to make a batch up today.  I couldn't find the recipe I used last time, so I kind of combined a few so hopefully they will be good.  You aren't supposed to eat them for 24 hours after they've been refrigerated so I am anxiously awaiting the clock to test them out.  We ate them for supper and they are already good and it's only been about 5 hours..tomorrow should be even better when they really cold..

Here is how I made them. 

Scrub and slice 6 cups of fresh cucumbers (leaving skins on) and about 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (some people like red too) into a container that will fit in your fridge and allow room for the brine.  I used a 1/2 gallon jar with a lid that I have on hand basically just for these pickles.

In a medium sized kettle add:
3 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric

Bring just to a boil so sugar dissolves and immediately remove from heat and pour over the cukes and onions.  Cover and set in fridge for at least 24 hours before eating.  Keep refrigerated.  Lasts for quite a long time if you have them that long!



No comments:

Post a Comment