Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Margaret's Best in the World Sugar Cookies

I thought I had posted this recipe previously, but can't find it, so maybe I didn't?  These are the best sugar cookies I have ever eaten.  They are loaded with butter and maybe that's why.  They are my grandkids favorite cookie, my kids favorite cookie and my favorite cookie.  Every time I take them somewhere they become their favorite cookie too!  It's a VERY old recipe, not even sure how old, but it was passed on by my mother-in-law Margaret to me and I am very glad it was.  You can just scoop up some dough with a cookie scoop, roll it in a ball and squish it with a sugared bottom of a glass and bake them that way, or  you can roll them out on a floured board and cut them out with cookie cutters..this is more tricky because the dough is pretty moist, but believe me it can be done.  refrigerating it helps, but generally I don't want to wait that long.  I like to bake them the same day as we are going to eat them because I think they are the absolute best the first day..I always have to make them in to mitten cookies for Christmas, have made them tons of times for the grandkids birthday parties and just because they are spending the night at grams.  I make a glaze with just powdered sugar and a little milk and food coloring that hardens on the cookie and that's the way they like them the best.  Yesterday I made a pile of them and just bought the frosting in the can and colored it with tons of sprinkles and candy for them to make their own version and it was a big hit..they were raving about the cookies, so posting the recipe finally.  Here goes..

MARGARET'S SUGAR COOKIES:
(This makes a lot of cookies.  I made 65 of them out of this batch for work..a lot of times I make a half sized batch and it makes enough for most things)

1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup room temperature butter
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups plus 4 heaping Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tarter

Cream together the sugar, butter and oil until light

Add all the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. 

Place on ungreased cookie sheet using one of the methods I described above.  Bake at 375 degrees about 10-12 minutes until very slightly golden on the edges.  I let them sit on the pan for a little bit before removing as they harden up a little bit so easier to remove..I just lay out a piece of aluminum foil to let them cool and frost on..

No comments:

Post a Comment