Search This Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Mango Key Lime Pie

On my recent trip to Florida I, of course, was craving key lime pie, my favorite, but it seemed I was doomed not to have any until my niece and her husband suggested the pie at Publix, one of their local grocery chains, where they have both key lime and mango key lime.  My nice son, Joe, picked up half a pie there for us one night (so nice) and we both think they mislabeled it because it tasted a little like mango in the key lime.  No problem though as it tasted really really good.  Tomorrow night, after my granddaughter, Alana's, piano recital I am having some of the family over for a recap of a meal I had in Florida, so I made a copycat on my invention on the mango key lime pie.  I hope they like it because I think the filling tastes DELICIOUS!  I added some toasted coconut to the graham cracker crust too to make it even more tropical tasting.  I just bought a can of Redi-whip to add to it when serving.  I added 1/2 cup pureed mango (frozen and thawed chunks) to the filling.  Can't wait to eat it, but I have to wait until then..I have to wait until then...I have to wait until then.,.

MANGO KEY LIME PIE..MY VERSION.

Heat oven to 350 degrees:

CRUST:
Toast about 1/2 cup coconut in a pan in the 350 degree oven until slightly browned..this happens fast to watch it pretty close..remove.

Crush 18 whole sheets of graham crackers in a food processor or in a zip lock bag smashed until fine crumbs.  (I use my rolling pin)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

Pour graham cracker crumbs, removing 1/2 cup to make up for the coconut you are adding, into a medium sized bowl.  (If you don't want to use the coconut in this, just use the whole amount of graham crackers).  Add the sugar and melted butter and mix thoroughly with a fork.  Press the mixture up the sides and bottom firmly of a pie pan.  Bake for 5 minutes in the 350 degree oven.  Remove and let cool slightly.

FILLING:
1 heaping Tablespoon lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice
3 egg yolks
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup pureed mango. (I used frozen chunks and let them thaw)

Mix the lime zest, lime juice, egg yolks and mango in a mixing bowl.  Add the condensed milk and mix on high until smooth and thick.  pour mixture into crust and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven.  allow to cool and then refrigerate for at least an hour.  Top with sweetened whipped cream and more grated lime zest if desired.
UPDATE: We all loved the pie.  Alana kept eating every crumb of the crust with the toasted coconut in it and took a piece home for tomorrow after school.  I definitely will make it again.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I live in florida..publix makes mango keylime all the time...its on purpose..I always add sliced strawberries and extra whip cream.I got a rare disease at the beginning of pandemic and its hard for me to get to publix so trying your recipe for fathers day, fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete