Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Cheesy Baked Potato Soup with Ham or Bacon

I thought I posted this at one point, but can't find it myself, so guess it's not on here..I make this soup usually only once or twice a year, but it's really good and easy to put together from contents you have extras of in the fridge and want to use them up.  Yesterday I made a pot with some buns made from rhoades frozen dinner rolls I let raise at the same time as baking my potatoes for the soup.  It was a great supper for me and Dave after all the loads of foods from Christmas eve.  We both wanted something simple for supper after that feed. 

BAKED POTATO SOUP WITH CHEESE, HAM OR BACON
(I'd advise prepping everything before starting soup)

2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 large baking potatoes, baked and cooled, peeled and cubed
4 green onions, sliced
12 bacon strips cooked and crumbled or 1 cup cooked ham diced
1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
salt/pepper to taste
2 Tbsp chicken base or 2 chicken bouillon cubes (I use the liquid base in the jar)

In a soup kettle, or dutch oven, melt the butter being careful not to scorch it.   Stir in the flour; heat and stir until smooth.  Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.  Add potatoes and onions,  Stirring constantly bring it to a simmer and then reduce heat.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese and sour cream are melted.  serve.  (I add very little salt, especially if using ham and taste as I add it so it's not too salty).

No comments:

Post a Comment