Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Making Kyle's Strawberry Rhubarb Jam (and a few others too)

I was bound and determined to make some strawberry rhubarb jam this year since Kyle, and a lot of us actually, love it, so today I just put a hold on everything else that needed to be done and got at it.  I know that none of the strawberry fields around my house have berry picking yet..too early..so I picked up some nice berries at Aldi that were sweet and tons easier anyway, went to my daughter, Kim's house, and raided her rhubarb patch that is farther along than mine, has beautiful rhubarb she wasn't using this year anyway, and collected all the rest of my canning paraphernalia and got to work.  Each batch had to done individually because it just doesn't turn out right if you double up on it, so it took most of the day.  I actually had enough berries and cut up rhubarb to make another batch, but I was burned out and stopped, so the 3 batches I made will have to be enough..Here's the recipe!

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB JAM: (Makes 6-7  1/2 pint jars)
2 cups rhubarb-diced
2 cups crushed strawberries-(washed, leaves removed and crushed with a potato masher coarsely)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin (sure jel etc)

5-1/2 cups sugar

wash, peel, and dice your rhubarb

Combine rhubarb, strawberries, pectin, and lemon juice in a large pot.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. 

Add sugar and bring back up to a boil again stirring constantly.

Boil hard for 1 minute.

Skim foam if necessary.

Fill hot jars (I washed my jars in the dishwasher and timed it so they would just about be done and hot when the jam was done) leaving 1/4 inch head room.  wipe rim well, so it's clean, apply a fresh canning lid and ring sealing tightly and process for 10 minutes in a water bath.  I used my canner with the rack, starting with lukewarm water that just barely covered the tops, covered the canner, let it come to a boil and then time it for 10 minutes..remove to a surfaced covered with a towel to cool and seal.  any jars that don't seal need to be refrigerated and used soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment