Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Porcupine Meatballs per Kim's Recommendation!

I can't remember when I've last had porcupine meatballs..I know it's been a long, long time.  When my daughter, Kim, was in high school I remember she learned how to make them and used to cook them for us once in a while for supper, but now she is in her 40s and I don't think I've had them in between that time.  The other night she sent me a picture of the dinner she made, and guess what?..it was a new porcupine meatball recipe with a sauce.  She said it was really good, so I tried it tonight.  I really liked them too.  They were flavorful and easy and I had most of the ingredients except for the fresh parsley, on hand, so I just substituted dried parsley and they were fine.  It makes quite a few meatballs though, so I will be eating them for more meals or freeze them for my work lunches, so I made extra mashed potatoes.  I have a feeling I won't mind that at all though.
 
PORCUPINE MEATBALLS:
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 egg
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped (I used about 1 tsp of dried parsley)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (10-3/4 oz) can tomato soup, divided (I used Campbells)
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
 
Instructions:
In a medium sized bowl combine meat, rice, egg, parsley, onion, garlic pwd, paprika, pepper, salt and 1/4 cup of the tomato soup.  Mix thoroughly and shape into about 20 balls and place in a skillet (don't brown).
 
Mix remaining soup, water and Worcestershire sauce.  pour over the meatballs.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat.  Cover and simmer slowly for 35-40 minutes stirring often. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment