Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2016

Aunt Clara's Dessert

This is a dessert from my childhood.  It was the absolute best dessert I remember as a kid.  My mom got the recipe from a neighbor lady, "Mrs Carlson" (we NEVER called anyone older than us by their first name back then, it was disrespectful to them and they let it be known that they were to be called "Mrs or Mr or Miss) if any kid thought it was okay to call them by their first name.  To this day, when I am on the phone at work talking with an older person I feel totally uncomfortable calling them by their first name and wonder if it bothers them, even though I am in that age group myself now.)  Anyway, we didn't have this real often because it is some work and expense to make, but on special occasions my mom would make it for us and we dreamt about it until the next time we had it.  A few years ago, 2 to be exact, my sister, Yvonne, was talking about how she loved that dessert, so I made it for her birthday.  I hadn't started the blog yet, so today I decided I should document it, for the family if nothing else..I am thinking I am the only one with a copy at this point and mine is pretty yellowed and messy!  so..here it goes..the jewel of desserts recipe!

AUNT CLARA'S DESSERT: (9 inch square pan size)  The picture is doubled for a 9 x 13 inch

1 (3 ounce) pkg of raspberry jello
1 cup boiling water
1 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup butter
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 eggs- separated

1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
16 squares (1/2 of the big graham crackers, so 8 full crackers)  (don't know why it's written that way?!) crushed well (I put it in a ziplock and beat them with my rolling pin and roll them, but you can use a food processor too)

1 cup drained, crushed pineapple.

PROCESS FOR ASSEMBLY:
Dissolve gelatin in the boiling water.  Add the pineapple juice.  Chill until slightly thickened..I toss it in the freezer to move it along quicker-watch it so it doesn't get too set.

Cream 1/4 cup butter and the
powdered sugar.  Blend in well beaten egg yolks.  Beat whites until stiff, but not dry.  Fold them gently into the creamed mixture. set aside.

Combine melted butter and brown sugar with graham cracker crumbs.  Put half of the crumb mixture in the bottom of the 9 inch square pan, press.  Spread evenly with the egg mixture.  I drop spoonfuls over the crust so I can basically smooth it easier over the crust.  Spread drained pineapple over the filling.  Sprinkle on the remaining crumbs.  Pour gelatin over the top.  Chill until well set.  Cut in squares.  Top each serving with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry or a raspberry and serve.  Makes 9 servings in a normal household.  makes a lot less in this family..LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment