Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2015

Craving Wild Rice Bread after being up North

When we went out for Shellie's belated birthday dinner up north, the restaurant at Chase on the Lake served an appetizer of Wild Rice Bread with melted white cheese fondue..we all dived into that immediately and the kids asked me to try to make it at home.  I am making their favorite wild rice soup tonight for supper with steamed crab legs, so thought the soup would be good with fresh bread for dipping.  I found a bread machine recipe online and crossed my fingers.  Since I had to precook some wild rice for the soup, I just made extra for the bread early this morning.  I didn't have any dried cranberries, but did have dried cherries, so used those, but chopped them in little pieces and added some sunflower seeds instead of the pine nuts since I had those..It seems to have turned out great!  we'll see tonight what the kids think of it.  I used my dough setting only because I have a super old bread cylinder machine and don't like the bread baked in it.   After it was done with the cycle I put it in my stoneware bowl that I had sprayed with Pam, but I am sure a bread pan would work just fine, or bake it in your machine.  I baked it at 350 for 45 minutes. Here is the recipe for a 1-1/2 lb loaf. The recipe is from 3boysandadog.com and they have the 2 lb size on their site also.

WILD RICE AND CRANBERRY BREAD LOAF RECIPE:
1-1/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup powdered milk
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
2 Tbsps honey
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cooked wild rice and cooled
1/4 cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts (I use sunflower, but you don't have to add any)
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 tsp black ground pepper
1 tsp bread machine or instant yeast (I use bread machine yeast)
2/3 cup dried cranberries

put in bread machine in order given above.  Because I have a super old bread machine, I put it on the dough setting and then when ready I transfer it to a regular Pam sprayed loaf pan, spray the top of the loaf with Pam, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until about 1 inch above the top of the pan, then bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.   baste top with a little butter and remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.  The picture below was baked in a stoneware bowl..


 
They liked it..it was gone by lunch the next day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment