Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2016

White Texas Sheet Cake

Unfortunately my ex-son-in-law died unexpectantly last week.  He was only 42 but had a massive seizure and left this world.  Even though my daughter and Ryan were divorced, I still had a soft spot in my heart for him.  He was a great guy when they first were married and because of their marriage I have my beautiful granddaughter, Alana  I still remember him as he was though and miss that guy a lot.  Tomorrow is the funeral service for him, so I made this sheet cake for the fellowship afterwards to bring. It's a recipe that I bring to a lot of events because it's both very good and it makes a big cake.  It can be made in either a jelly roll pan, that I make, or a 15 x 10 inch sheet cake pan.  It's got a nice almond flavor that a lot of people enjoy, including me!  Here's how I make it..the smaller cake measures are in red if you prefer that size.

WHITE TEXAS SHEET CAKE:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees:  Pam spray a Jelly roll pan (13 x 17-1/2) or sheet cake pan (10 x 15)

In a large kettle combine:
1-1/2   (1)    cup butter
1-1/2   (1)    cups water
3         (2)    cups flour
3         (2)    cups sugar
3         (2)    eggs, beaten
3/4     (1/2)  cup sour cream
1-1/2   (1)    teaspoons almond extract
1-1/2   (1)    teaspoons salt
1-1/2   (1)    teaspoons baking soda

Bring butter and water to a boil in a large saucepan.  Remove from heat.  Add remaining ingredients; stir until smooth.  Pour into a greased jelly-roll pan or sheet cake pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes depending on which size, or until cake is golden and tests done.  Cool for 20 minutes; spread with frosting over warm cake. 

FROSTING:  I make the same batch size for either cake.
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup sliced almonds or walnuts (I use almonds)

Combine butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil.  Remove from heat; add pwd sugar and almond extract.  Mix well and spread on warm cake, sprinkling with almonds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment