Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2016

John's Toasted Coconut and Banana Cream Pie

Our friend, John Burrington, is an awesome baker.  He makes better than bakery quality cookies for sure, but he also makes some delicious pies.  He posted to me that he was making this pie, plus an Amish lemon custard type pie to bring to his Easter celebration and I begged him for the recipes which he generously shared with me.  I have yet to test out the lemon one, but will in the near future, I can promise!  He told me tonight that he created it out of two recipes.  I made it for the celebration dinner tonight hoping they would eat it all because otherwise I would!  Well, there is still half because the crowd wasn't too big, so I guess I will have to FORCE myself to eat it as the days go by here and before the bananas go bad..what a shame..He gave me permission to share the recipe..try it you will like it. 

TOASTED COCONUT AND BANANA CREAM PIE:

One baked 9 inch pie crust..mine was larger and still worked out fine though.  I have my recipe in a previous post..I just used have the recipe.  There is a search bar on top of the page and you can just type "pie crust" and it should show you the choices for pie crust in my blog, or just use your favorite recipe or a store bought one you bake.  Please do a search if you haven't baked a single crust before on how to do it..they tend to shrink and buckle if you don't bake it correctly.

anyway..

1 cup sweetened flaked coconut toasted (Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spread coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.  Watch carefully as once it starts to brown it burns quickly)

3 cups Half and Half (fat free actually works in this also.  I bought it accidentally in a rush and it was fine)
2 eggs (slightly beaten)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla (added later when done cooking)

2-3 bananas sliced thin

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium saucepan, combine the half and half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well.  Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.  (the bottom scorches easily so this is very important)
As soon as it starts to boil and thicken remove from heat and stir in 3/4 of a cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla.

RESERVE 1/4 CUP OF THE TOASTED COCONUT TO SPRINKLE ON THE TOP OF THE FINISHED PIE.

Spread enough of the cooked mixture in the baked pie shell to cover the bottom.  Spread a single layer of the sliced bananas on this layer.  Spread another layer of the cooked mixture and another layer of bananas.  Add the rest of the mixture and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.  I let the pie sit on the counter for about an hour to cool and then put it in a Tupperware and into the fridge.  Chill in fridge for several hours or overnight. 

Keep leftovers chilled.  (I also served it a dollop of cool whip..fresh whipped cream would have taken it over the top though..

No comments:

Post a Comment