Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Old Fashion Peanut Butter Cookies

Dave, my husband, wrote on the grocery list on the fridge yesterday that he wanted homemade peanut butter cookies (and as a side note he stated they should have crushed peanuts in them like his mom put in-LOL), so this morning while he is still sleeping in, I baked a batch and put his peanuts in about 3/4 of them..I kind of am a purist and like the smooth peanut butter cookie.  I had never used this recipe before -it's from King Arthur Flour (they have a lot of good old fashioned recipes on their site), but it looked like the kind I used to make so I went for it.  The only thing I did differently was add about 2 Tablespoons of the crushed peanuts to part of the dough.  Instead of the 1/3 cup shortening I put in 1/2 cup of butter because I know I had butter in mine and I wanted that richness. 

Here is the recipe:

CLASSIC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES:
1/2 cup softened butter (or 1/3 cup shortening if you like a more crisp cookie)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup peanut butter (not natural or homemade peanut butter, something like Jiff or Skippy)
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly spray 2 cookie sheets with Pam or use parchment paper to cover

Cream the sugars and butter until well incorporated.  Add the egg and vanilla to combine.  beat in peanut butter until smooth. 

Add 1 cup of flour, the baking soda and salt until well combined..then add the other 1/2 flour until combined (believe me this is tons easier then adding all the flour..it's hard to mix it all in and takes more time).

Take about 1 Tablespoon of dough, roll it into a ball and set it on the sheet..using a fork make criss-cross marks on the cookie.  Makes about 24 cookies.  ( I made all the balls first so I was sure it was divided between 24 cookies and then criss-crossed them.   Baked for 12-16 minutes or until just the edges are slightly browned..mine were close to 13 minutes, but it varies in ovens.  Get out the milk and get dipping!


No comments:

Post a Comment