Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Tomato Basil Soup!

Since fresh tomatoes are abundant right now and I don't grow them anymore, I decided to go to the "Green Barn" today and buy a few to make two of my favorite fall foods..tomato basil soup and Swiss Steak-the steak to make on Wednesday and will be posting it at that time.  I still might pick up a bushel of tomatoes and can them Wednesday too..they are so good over the winter to have on hand..we'll see if I have the energy, hopefully so.  Anyway, here is the recipe for the soup!  I plan on freezing some for lunches at work and a bowl for my supper.  I can't wait!

Tomato Basil Soup:

8 fresh large tomatoes peeled (the easiest way to do this is to dip them in boiling water for a few seconds to loosen the skin, then set aside until you can touch them comfortably-doesn't take long, and then the skins peel off very easily).  Chop up discarding any hard parts, and put in a bowl until ready to use.  Otherwise, you can use two 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes. 
1 can (14-1/2 ounce) chicken broth (I use this amount of water and add chicken base)
18-20 fresh basil leaves, minced (can also use 1/2 tsp or so of dried basil)
1 large clove garlic minced
2 Tbsps chopped onion
1 stalk celery chopped
2 tsp sugar
1 cup whipping/heavy cream
1/2 cup butter or magarine
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan/kettle, add butter, onion, celery and garlic to a low simmer..cook until softened.
Add tomatoes and broth and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add basil and sugar, reduce heat to low and add cream.  you can eat it this way, but I prefer to use an emersion blender and blend it smooth, or put small amounts in a regular blender and blend each batch until smooth..add salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment