Search This Blog

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Soft Sandwich Buns, or cinnamon rolls

I make this recipe a lot with my bread machine..either into dinner rolls, sometimes cinnamon rolls etc, or you can even make it into hamburger buns.  My grandkids LOVE these buns..they call them Big Buns because I make sure they are fluffy and big when I make them.  I swear they could just eat the whole pan with butter and call it a meal, and sometimes have, ignoring the rest of the food on their plates!  Every time I make them I hear their voices asking for another one, and another one, and have been known to ask for any leftovers of them for breakfast many a time.  One of the ladies from my work made the honey wheat machine bread recipe, loved it, and I was telling her about these also, so am posting it for her..really easy recipe and very versatile..you know, I think I'll make some cinnamon rolls with it today!  I actually did make the cinnamon rolls today and posted a picture at the end of this section..I used butter, cinnamon, brown and white sugar for the center (just roll the dough in a large rectangle, smear with melted butter and add the rest)  then rolled it up pinching the ends and slice them into rolls..put on greased pan ( I made 10 because we like huge cinnamon rolls, but easily could make 12)..covered them with plastic wrap, let them raise until doubled, baked at 350 for 20 minutes..when done I iced them with caramel icing and pecans-recipe to follow.

SOFT SANDWICH BUNS:
Put in bread machine in this order:

1-1/4 cups warm milk (not hot)
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine softened (I use butter)
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoons salt
3-3/4 cups white flour
1-1/4 teaspoons dry yeast (I use bread machine yeast)

Use your dough cycle.  When done shape into whatever roll you want to make, spray tops with cooking spray such as Pam, lightly.  cover (not too tightly) with plastic wrap.  put in warm place and let rise until about double in size.  Bake at 350 degrees until nicely browned on top, about 15-20 minutes.. remove from pans onto cooling rack to cool.  I cover with a light dishtowel..



Caramel glaze:
in a small saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar, bring to a low boil and cook 2 minutes being careful not to burn it.  add 1/4 cup milk and bring it back up to a boil.  remove from heat and when just warm add 1 cup powdered sugar beating until smooth.  smear on warm buns.. I then added chopped pecans, but that's optional.  sooo good.  You can double this for a cake also, excellent on spice cake, apple cake or pumpkin bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment