Search This Blog

Friday, January 16, 2015

Black Forest Cake Dessert

This is yet another of my mom's go to desserts.  She makes it in a jelly roll pan so the cake is thinner and double the filling, use 2 cans of cherry pie filling and covers it with cool whip, but I seldom need that much dessert, so make my version in a 9 x 13 cake pan instead.  if you like cherries, you will love this combination.  It's rich and yet light and we all love it.  I had to bring dessert this month for the birthday for a coworker and she likes chocolate, I was tired, and this actually is a fast dessert, so..

BLACK FOREST CAKE DESSERT:

Make your favorite chocolate cake mix as directed in a 9 x 13 inch pan.  I chose devil's food, but my mom always uses German Chocolate..I like both.  I actually use the generic cake mixes (this one was from Aldi, because it's a smaller cake generally and there is more room for your toppings in the pan the way I make it..with my mom's method in the jelly roll pan I don't think it matters..)  cool completely.

2nd layer:
1-8 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature (I used the light cream cheese, works fine)
1- 8 oz tub cool whip
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding (not prepared, just dry)
mix together with a mixer until smooth and spread onto cooled cake.

3rd layer:
add 1-1/2 cans of cherry pie filling (if you like lighter cherry use one can). spread evenly over 2nd layer. 

I drizzled some fudge ice cream topping on mine and will serve cool whip with it for the top glob..refrigerate.  You can also freeze this..freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment