Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2020

Salted Caramel Brownies for Kevin's Birthday Dessert Request

My daughter, Kim's, boyfriend, Kevin requested salted caramel brownies for his birthday this year.  I found this recipe online with high ratings so after getting all the ingredients together, made them for his party today.  Everyone said they were really good, so I decided to post it just as written by the author, Sabrina Snyder.  I had vanilla ice cream with them too.  I did reduce the flake salt though.

SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIES:

1 cup butter-she recommends unsalted-I used salted because I had that.
14 ounces semisweet chocolate chips DIVIDED (I used mini chips because I had those)
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate-I used the bar type and chopped it up
3 large eggs
1 Tablespoon instant expresso-I had a hard time finding this, so ordered it online-it has a very fine texture, so would recommend using it, but you maybe could use regular instant coffee if in a pinch.
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour DIVIDED
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt-I used regular
11 ounces wrapped caramels-one bag-unwrapped
2 Tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons flake salt-also ordered online

INSTRUCTIONS:
1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper
2. In a larger sized microwave safe bowl add the butter, half the semisweet chips, and unsweetened chocolate together in a microwave in 30 second increments until fully melted and mixed. set aside to cool.
3. In a separate bowl add the eggs, instant espresso, vanilla and sugar and whisk well.-add to chocolate mixture.
4.  Add 1/2 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt also into the cooled chocolate mixture.
5. Mix the remaining 6 ounces of chocolate chips into the remaining 1/4 cup of flour in a small bowl and add to the chocolate batter.
6. Add milk to the unwrapped caramels and microwave in 30 second increments until melted and fully whisked together.  (mine took 3 times I believe)
7.  Add half the chocolate batter to the pan.  smooth out.  Pour HALF the caramel on top in a thin pour.  then top with remaining brownie batter.

Bake for 35 minutes, remove from oven and drizzle the rest of the caramel over it (you may have to re-melt the caramel to get it to drizzle) sprinkle with the salt.  (I didn't add as much salt, just a slight sprinkle). 

**I messed up when I made mine and put the whole batch of caramel in the middle-I have rewritten the directions here because I didn't get what she was trying to say on what to do with it and they turned out just fine doing it that way so don't worry.  I just sprinkled the salt on the warm brownie top lightly instead. 
Image may contain: dessert, food and indoor

No comments:

Post a Comment