Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

Updating the kitchen a little

Sorry I haven't been on here as much lately..I am trying to update the house a little before I retire in about a year and a half, so we can spend our "golden years" hopefully with as few updates as possible as the income will be significantly reduced I am sure!  Right now we are concentrating on the kitchen.  My cupboards are basically fine for me-they are oak and Dave touched them up a few years ago, but the countertop and backsplash (well, kind of a backsplash..it was built in 1976 and they used to run laminate up the walls that was the same as the countertop) was getting pretty shoddy looking and at one point had rotted out behind the sink, so Dave "patched" it up just to keep it from leaking.  It was hard to clean also, was white with a so called "leather look" that was in style back then (but guess what I saw something similar at Menards when we were looking at options!)  NEVER buy a textured counter top..believe me, they are not fun or sanitary.  Anyway, now the countertops and backsplash are in!  Dave (and his cabinet maker brother Denny) put in the countertop and Dave did the backsplash.  I like the way it turned out..somewhat neutral, but am hoping it's something that wont' make me tired of it until I can't live in the house any longer!  I am doing a gray, soft  yellow, white and cream theme.  I have white appliances and got a new white sink and hood light/fan to match them.  I think it looks like an inviting space and I haven't even "staged" it yet.  This is a preview picture..I have to wash down the cupboards, line them all and put all the drawers back, so ignore all the unfinished things..the dirty dishes will be gone also in the next picture.  this is the first day I could even get at them and I didn't have time for that part..

No comments:

Post a Comment