Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Strawberry (or any other flavor) Oatmeal Bars

I haven't baked for a while with the hot weather we have been having, but when I saw a posting for this on Facebook, I decided I should give it a try and use up some strawberry rhubarb jam I had opened in the fridge when my sister, Karen, came up to visit me from Florida.  I usually open a jar and then forget about it until I have to toss it, so glad I ran across this.  I had all the ingredients at home already in my cupboards or fridge, so that was another big plus about the recipe.  It is a super yummy bar!  I cut one as soon it came out of the oven for a photo and to taste of course, but I added a big blob of ice cream to cool it down and that made it extra extra good!  I will try other flavors of jam again with it, like apple butter, peach jam, blueberry, cherry etc.  so good and almost tastes like thumbprint cookies or a fruit crumble without all the work involved with those.  Here is the recipe..it came from the Pioneer Woman's recipe collection..

Strawberry-Oatmeal Bars:

1-3/4 sticks of cold butter cut into small pieces
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups oats (quick or regular-I had quick so used those)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 jar (10-12 ounces) strawberry preserves

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan (I actually did use butter and not spray)

Mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.  cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs (I used my hands/fingers).  Sprinkle half the mixture into the pan and pat lightly to pack it a little tight.  Spoon preserves evenly over the surface, then spread carefully so it's evenly over the crust.  sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top and pat lightly again. 

Bake until light golden brown on top, about 35-40 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan. 

When cool, cut into squares and serve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment