Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Old Fashioned Lemonade-Anne of Green Gables Cookbook Recipe

I decided since it's Easter/Spring that I'd forgo the punch recipes and by family request, make iced tea and fresh lemonade.  My daughter, Kim, had made this Anne of Green Gables recipe and it was delicious, so made up the lemonade syrup for it this morning so it can chill down before adding the ice and water (I actually bought some sparkling water for those who like a little fizz) at dinner today.  The syrup smells so good, I wanted to just make an icy glass for me, but decided I should wait!  Here is their recipe.  I kind of hate squeezing lemons -at least enough to make 1-1/2 cups of juice, but these were perfectly ripe and were easy to work with..make sure you don't get the hard ones..that is not fun.
 
OLD FASHIONED LEMONADE:
 
In a saucepan:
Add: 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups water
Bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon and let boil for 5 minutes.  Set aside and let cool a little.
 
In the meantime; squeeze enough fresh lemons to make 1-1/2 cups of juice..add the zest of one lemon.  (I think I used about 10 lemons, but get extra for slicing and adding to the lemonade when it's finished in the glass)
 
Add the juice and zest to the simple syrup and pour into a one quart jar with a cover.  Refrigerate. 
 
When ready to serve, add 1/4 cup of the lemonade syrup to 3/4 cup water or sparkling water and stir.  add ice and lemon slice if desired. 
 
You can also add 2 Tablespoons of pureed strawberries to your glass for strawberry lemonade.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment