Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Pickled Eggs experimental batch

I saw a post on facebook re pickled eggs yesterday.  My son used to like them at the bars up in northern Minnesota, so I thought I'd do a test batch to take to our 4th of July little celebration coming up.  I found a few recipes, decided I definitely wanted the beet juice style for the colored eggs, and sort of adjusted another one that I thought he might like because it was similar to garlic jalapeno pickles.  Will find out after they sit a week if it's worth making a bigger batch next time.  I only made 8 eggs.

Make 8 hard boiled eggs, peel and wash and place in a glass jar or container.

Meanwhile make the brine of:

3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup beet juice (or water if you don't care about the color) I just bought a generic brand of sliced beers and drained the juice and it was perfect-we'll eat the beets for supper)
1/4 of an onion thinly sliced.  I used a yellow onion, but red would be pretty in the jar too
1/2 cup sugar
6 whole cloves
2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and sliced lengthwise
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dry oregano
1 garlic clove peeled

put brine ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar and simmer about 5 minutes.

set aside until just warm, not really hot because the eggs with get tough.

when cooled down, pour over eggs and refrigerate..will keep for up to a month in the refrigerator.  it says you can eat them the next day, but a lot of recipes said to wait a week. 

Image may contain: drink and food

No comments:

Post a Comment