Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3, 2019

Oven BBQ chicken from my "youth"

My mom used to make this when I was growing up and it was one of my all time favorites.  I could sit and eat it piece after piece.  I also made it for my family when they were growing up quite a bit and it got the same response from them.  I have been thinking about old time foods again and decided to make a mini version of it for Dave and my supper tonight with 4 drumsticks.  I most likely will kick myself for not making more for leftovers!  You can make as little or as much as you like, just double or triple the sauce recipe and there you go.  I always used cut up whole chickens..yes chickens when I made it, but even chicken breasts will work for those who prefer them.  I generally make mashed potatoes, corn, beans and buns with it, but mac and cheese, coleslaw etc would all be great.

Here is all you have to do:

wash and pat dry whatever chicken you decide to use..salt and pepper all sides.  Brown the chicken.  I use a fry pan with a little oil for small batches, but for large I put it on a broiler pan and brown each side in there.  If you use this method you can use the bottom broiler pan to bake it in also, or for a small batch use a pan that is the appropriate size.

In the meantime make the sauce:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup catsup
1 tsp Worchester sauce
1/4 of an onion chopped well
1/2 of a 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes, stem pulled out and then squished with your hand into the pot.

simmer until thickened/reduced.

pour sauce over the chicken in the baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until browned and done.


No comments:

Post a Comment