Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Grilled Hawaiian Chicken with Coconut Rice, Grilled Pineapple and Cucumber Salad

I still am missing my Grilled meats etc from our Hawaii trip, so today I tried a new recipe for the above and it was awesome!  I definitely will make it again and again.  I never had made any parts of it, so it was a new experience, but the recipes were actually really easy and since you marinade the chicken for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours can be made way ahead.  I made it early this morning and let it sit all day until about 5:30 when I grilled it.  only needs to cook about 10 minutes a side, so fast.  Joe came over and was mowing and I had invited him to eat here and he also said it was really good.  Here's how to make the meal..

For the Grilled Hawaiian Chicken:
1-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar, light or dark..I used light
1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger (I used the already grated ginger in the tube by the herbs etc in the grocery store)
6 cloves garlic, finely minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder-I used the powder-lazy

Instructions:
Place the opened chicken thighs in a shallow dish or a gallon sized Ziploc bag-that's what I did.
whisk together the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic and pour HALF of the marinade over the chicken in the bag so the chicken is evenly coated.  seal the bag and refrigerate 4-24 hours .
Refrigerate the remaining marinade until the chicken is ready to be grilled.

preheat grill to medium or medium high.  Bring the refrigerated marinade to a simmer in a small saucepan on the stove.  simmer for 5-10 minutes until it's reduced and somewhat thickened.  set aside.  In the meantime place the chicken on the preheated grill (discard the marinade in the bag/dish) and cook until thermometer reads 165 degrees at the thickest part..about 7-8 minutes a side.  during the last 3-4 minutes of cooking baste the chicken liberally with the reduced marinade.  can drizzle more on if desired when serving.

COCONUT RICE:
1-1/2 cups jasmine rice
1 can coconut milk-I used lite and it was great
1-1/4 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt

Combine the ingredients in a 5 qt saucepan or larger. Bring to a boil  over medium heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.  Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 16 minutes (I did stir it once during the time).  remove from heat, covered still and fluff after 5-10 minutes.

CUCUMBER SALAD:
2 cucumbers, very thinly sliced (I used my mandolin, but be sure to use the shield!)
1 small red onion (I just used a yellow one) sliced thin also with the mandolin
2 Tablespoons vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
2 Tablespoons sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar
either some fresh finely chopped dill or 1/2 tsp (about) of dried dill weed


Mix all together until smooth and creamy.  Pour over sliced cucumbers and refrigerate until serving.  can be made earlier that day.  the cucumbers stay a little crunchy if sliced thin like recommended.



No comments:

Post a Comment