Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Italian Sausage and Broccoli Pasta

My Supervisor, Kim, took a two week vacation to Italy recently and when she was there she stayed some of the time with her sister-in-law who would cook for them at times.  One of the last days she made this pasta dish and Kim posted it saying it was one of her favorites.  I asked for the recipe and her hostess was kind enough to share it so I made it tonight.  It was great!  I did a few changes that I will put in parentheses because I was scared of putting white wine in it (not much on wine in food) and I used half hamburger and half mild Italian sausage because I like Italian sausage a little but not a ton of it in my food either.  I couldn't find her cheese she used either, so just substituted a 3 cheese Italian blend instead.

Here is the recipe:

ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND BROCCOLI PASTA: (per her sister-in-law)
I just sautéed garlic in olive. I used about 2 minced garlic cloves and added a little finely diced onion. Then I added ground sausage. I used about half a lb each of hamburger and mild Italian sausage.  I let it cook through and added about a cup of wine. I used chicken stock. I cooked it till the wine evaporated half way. In the mean time I boiled water with salt added. Once it boiled I added fresh broccoli and let it cook till it was soft. I used a smaller bag of frozen chopped broccoli. Once soft, I scooped out broccoli and added it to the sausage mixture keeping the broccoli water in pot to then cook orecchiette pasta in.  I used about 8 ounces of pasta)  I smashed broccoli with a potato masher and let it cook some more in the pan with the sausage. I cooked the pasta as directed on the package. Then I mixed everything together and added a loooooot of pecorino cheese to it. I couldn't find this cheese, so used a small tub, maybe 1 cup,  of Italian 3 cheese blend.  Voila’!

No comments:

Post a Comment