Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Soup

I found this recipe in a magazine years ago.  It was from a restaurant called Stonewings.  I had just started enjoying broccoli cheese soup and so tried it.  The recipe actually had mixed vegetables in it, but I just decided to use straight broccoli.  It also had heavy cream in it and chicken broth but I also changed that up a little to make it a little lighter by using straight milk or 2% milk and adding chicken base to it.  It has been a family favorite, especially by me and my two daughters.  I brought it to work Friday for a fundraiser soup and bread day and a few people asked me for the recipe, so am posting it.  I will have to post a picture of the soup when I make it again.  I thought for sure that I had added it to the blog, but not this one I guess!  oh, should also mention..you can use a little more flour so it's thicker and use it poured over biscuits or toast..it's delicious that way!  Here's how it goes:

CHEESY CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI SOUP:

Prep all your ingredients and have them ready by the stove before starting the soup.  It actually goes fast once you do that.

Melt 1/2 cup butter or margarine (I use butter) in a large stockpot kettle.

Add 1/2 of a yellow onion chopped finely and simmer until clear and tender.

Add 4 chicken breasts (with fat or grizzle removed and diced in small pieces) into the pot, lightly salt and pepper, and simmer until completely cooked through.

then push the ingredients to one side, tip the kettle at an angle so the juices run to one side,  wisk in about 1/4 cup flour and quickly stir to make a thick paste; slowly add 1 quart of milk until blended into paste, turn down burner so it doesn't scorch/soup doesn't curdle,  and add 2 heaping Tablespoons of chicken "Better Than Bouillon" paste,  (in jars by the chicken bouillon)  1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use the mild in the bag), 1 bag of broccoli florets that have been chopped up smaller, 2 carrots that have been skinned and shredded and a dash of tabasco if desired.  warm, stirring often so bottom doesn't scorch, until all is warmed through and cheese is melted and broccoli heated through.  eat.  (picture will be posted later)




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete