Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Taco filled Pasta Shells

Today I was thinking about what to make for dinner with some hamburger I had thawed out and needed to use.  Somewhere in the mental list of things I could make, I remembered these taco shells.  I thought at some point I had made them and posted them, so I looked for the recipe, and lo and behold it appears I never posted it, so must have been a while since I made them.  They are great for a meal with a salad, or even just a side veggie of Mexican style corn, or both!  It was in an old Taste of Home Magazine as a make one, freeze one style dish, but when I used to make it I'd make the whole thing up because some of the family really liked it and wanted it.  Now it's basically just a few of us, so I make the recipe in half.  it makes about 12-14 shells, so plenty to even have for leftovers around here.

Here's the process:

TACO FILLED PASTA SHELLS: can easily double for a crowd.

1 pound ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
4 ounces cream cheese cubed
12-14 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to package, drained and a little butter mixed in to prevent sticking.
1 cup salsa
1 cup taco sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mozzarella cheese
1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips (I substitute nacho doritos a lot)
1 cup sour cream
3 green onions, chopped.

In a skillet, cook hamburger until no longer pink (season a little with salt and pepper).  Drain is needed.  Add taco seasoning and prepare as directed on package.  Add cream cheese and stir until incorporated into hamburger mix.  Set aside to cool a little to handle easily.  Stuff each cooked shell with about a Tablespoon of meat mixture and put in a baking dish that has the salsa added to the bottom.  When finished stuffing all the shells, sprinkle the taco sauce over the top, cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Then uncover and sprinkle with the crushed chips and cheeses and return to oven for about 15 more minutes or until melted and heated through.  Serve with chopped onions and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment