Search This Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Calico Beans

This is a staple for pretty much every party we have.  We only make it for large events when they get eaten up though, but the dish would be great for a family for supper even with bread and butter because it has hamburger in it, bacon and the beans, so filling and tasty.  I am not a bean person normally, but I love the sauce on these and like them as a side dish with ham or picnics especially.  Today is my daughter's boyfriend, Kevin's, 50th birthday at their place and they are having a big crowd with outdoor games and tons of food.  So far the day is beautiful, so it's going to be a lot of fun.  I offered to make the giant potato salad and these beans for the luncheon.  I hope both come back to  me empty!  I doubled the recipe, but this is the single version..

CALICO BEANS:

Brown 1 lb hamburger with 1/2 of a chopped onion, salt and pepper.  Drain.

Cook 1/2 lb bacon (I cut it up with kitchen shears in smaller squares so I don't have to later), until most of the fat is gone, but not too crispy)..drain.

In a regular crockpot (or large one if you double) Add:
the hamburger and bacon
1 (15 ounce) can of kidney beans drained
1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained.
1 (16 ounce) can of baked beans with pork (I used Bushs)
1 (4 ounce?) can lima beans
1/2 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste if needed.

Stir well and cook on Low for at least 2 hours.  Can keep on low for a long time. 

You can also bake these in the oven in a 9 x 13 pan, covered, for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. 



No comments:

Post a Comment