Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Keto Sour Cream and Chive Bisquits by Carrie Brown

I have been trying to keep my carbs in check for the last few months so I can keep my blood sugars down and keep my driving privileges intact!  It's been helping a ton so I plan on continuing (although already know I will cheat on special occasions a little!)  Life is too short either way to not enjoy treats occasionally with family and friends.  Anyway, I made these a little bit back on the program and loved them, so made another batch today.  They are very versatile,  you can pretty much use whatever cheese you like and herbs etc.  I used sharp shredded cheddar both times and just about a tsp of onion powder instead of the chives because I didn't have them and then sprinkled Everything but the Bagel seasoning (they have it at Trader Joe's, but I am hearing them have tons of variations also everywhere now) on the top.  that has garlic and other seasonings in it already.  I cut them in squares, but I have seen them with circles like bisquits also.  You can find the almond flour even at Walmart now and I think the xanthan gum also..I am an Amazon shopper though to save me the trip and get the brands I want.  I like the Honeyville super fine almond flour a lot.  These taste a lot like the biscuits at Red Lobster and are great with a salad or soup.

Here is the recipe (Carrie Brown).  Oh, she is from the UK I believe and they use weights for their recipes a lot.  I just brought a digital scale from Walmart for about $20 because of this)

SOUR CREAM AND CHIVE BISCUITS:
15 oz almond flour
4 tsp backing powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 oz cold butter-cut up in tiny pieces

1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon cold water
1/2 oz chopped fresh chives (I used 1 tsp onion powder)
6 ounces feta cheese (I used shredded cheddar) FYI-she says not to buy the crumbled feta, use a fresh block and crumble it yourself so it's more sticky.

Beaten egg to glaze
paprika (I used the Everything but the Bagel seasoning)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.  Place the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cold butter into a food processor and pulse just until it resembles bread crumbs, do not over process (I actually just put everything in a bowl and used my pasty blender and hands to work in the butter-I still had little tiny pieces of butter in there, but my biscuits came out nice and tender/fluffy)
2)  With everything in a mixing bowl, add the egg, sour cream, water (I beat these 3 ingredients together) , chives and cheese and mix just enough to form a rough, soft dough.
3)  Turn onto a board (use a little almond flour to keep from sticking to the board) and knead about 10 times until dough is all together.
4) Flatten the dough lightly with your hand until it's 1 inch thick (square).  cut into 12 squares with a sharp knife.
5)  Place biscuits on a baking sheet (not greased), brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika (I used the EBTB seasoning)
6)  Bake in the center of the oven at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

Just an fyi, I did these on my recipe calculator and they are 243 calories each and only 4 Carbs each..fyi.






No comments:

Post a Comment