Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry (adapted from Vern's recipe)

I had this once when I was in Florida visiting my sister, Karen, and her family.  (at least Vern, her husband, thinks it was this one), and I really liked it.  I think the one I had was more of a mixed vegetable stir fry, but when I asked him for the recipe he sent me this one and I like it too, so... I changed it up a bit because I added some sliced carrot for color and flavor and also added some red pepper flakes for a little kick, maybe 1/2 tsp or something, but you could add as much as you want for heat..and cut back on the onion soup mix a little.

Here is how I made it. 

BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY:

1 Tablespoon vegetable oil or peanut oil in a wok or large skillet
1 pound sirloin steak cut into thin strips
4 heads fresh broccoli, or 2 pkgs frozen broccoli florets, thawed.  I like the fresh so it's not so soft.
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced thinly
3/4 envelope Lipton Onion soup mix
1-1/4 cups water
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tsp dry ginger or 1 inch fresh ginger grated
3-5 garlic diced (I use pre-diced garlic in the jar and eyeball it)
about 1/8 cup of KC Masterpiece Honey Teriyaki marinade

In your wok add the oil on high heat.  when very hot add the steak -I added some black pepper, but waited with the salt until the end so it wasn't too salty.

When browned remove from skillet and set aside.

add remaining ingredients into the wok and reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender crisp.  Return steak to skillet and cook about 1 more minute until steak is done.  Make a slurry with a few Tablespoons of corn starch in a small bowl, add a little water to dissove and add slowly to broth stirring steadily to thicken juices.  Serve over cooked rice.  (I did add a little salt and more pepper plus about a tsp of red pepper flakes and stirred it in.) with soy sauce to add if you wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment