Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Homemade Bird Treat

Dave cut out an article on making a homemade bird treat because he knows how I like to watch the birds outside my kitchen window and other critters that come to the feeder.  It was in the Minneapolis newspaper.  I decided to make it today, but only half a batch to see if they actually like it and it doesn't go to waste.  It's got a lot of kind of non-cheap ingredients.  It's in the freezer right now.  I froze my half batch in 3 takeout style coffee cups that filled them about half full and I'm going to cut slots down the sides once they freeze and punch holes in the top with a string to hang them on the feeder with.  I will post a picture once I've got one of them up.  Here's the recipe:

HOMEMADE BIRD TREAT:
(full recipe as written by the Star Tribune)

1 cup butter or lard-I used butter because I didn't have lard in the house
1 cup peanut butter
1-1/2 cups sunflower seeds-whole
1-1/2 cups chopped nuts-I used peanuts and broke them up
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
1-1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup sugar

Mix dry ingredients and set aside.  Melt shortening/butter and peanut butter together, stirring until combined.  Pour melted mix into dry mix and stir until combined.  Press into containers and freeze for 2 hours before filling feeders, then refreeze the rest.  (This is a deluxe mix, so you might want to portion it out slowly)

No comments:

Post a Comment