Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Leslie's Homemade Caramels

I need to get out today and do a little shopping, but since it's so dang cold and not sure about the roads yet since we had a pretty big snow last night, I decided to make a half batch of homemade caramels for Christmas. Granddaughter Alana really likes them and I didn't make them last year. It's a lot of time, but I really like these because they are buttery and have a good vanilla taste. The whole batch is huge and I didn't feel like wrapping them up for hours since Alana is gone this weekend to help me! Thank goodness there is always some left on the spoon and kettle to sample while they cool!

Here is the recipe (I got it from my friend, Leslie..she used to give me little gift bags of them that I'd hoard for myself before I finally asked for the recipe!)

Leslie's Homemade Caramels: Just half the ingredients if you want a smaller size)

In a LARGE heavy kettle combine:
4 cups white granulated sugar
4 cups light Karo syrup
Bring to a boil over medium heat until a candy thermometer registers 245 degrees, stirring frequently.

ADD:
1 cup butter until melted.
Then slowly add 3 cans Carnation evaporated milk so it doesn't curdle.
Bring to a rapid boil at medium-high heat up to 240 degrees stirring constantly so bottom doesn't scorch.  This is a slow process, but be patient so they harden correctly.  It's nice to have a backup stirrer or a stool to sit on while doing this stage.

Then remove from heat and add:
1/4 tsp salt
2 teaspoons good vanilla

Pour into a PARCHMENT papered jelly roll pan to completely cool before cutting and wrapping into caramels.







No comments:

Post a Comment