Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham

ANOTHER cool day and chilly in the house, but not chilly enough to start a blazing fire in the porch as I am trying to finish a shawl I fell in love with (I have no business crocheting right now, I have a trillion, well  not quite, projects that need to be finished and started before this) and didn't want to "bake" out in my favorite chair out there, so I decided to make something in the oven for supper.  Thus, it's cheesy scalloped potatoes with ham for dinner tonight.  This is a pretty quick and easy dinner..just toss together a salad to go with it and you are all set with a balanced meal that didn't require a ton of work or time.  Here goes..

CHEESEY SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM:

Peel and slice about 6-8 potatoes, depending on how large they are..put in a larger casserole dish.  dice about 1/3 of a large onion finely and add it to the dish.  The dice about 1-1/2 to 2 cups of ham and toss that in too.  kind of mix it all together with your hands.

Next: in a medium kettle over medium to medium high heat mix together:

8 ounces of Velvetta cheese (I sometimes use Velvetta Mexican if I am in the mood for more kick to it)
1 cup cheddar cheese-I use mild
1 can Campbell's cream of celery soup
1/4 cup Miracle Whip-sounds strange but it gives it some tang
a little salt and pepper
1 pint of half and half

heat until all of the ingredients are melted and creamy, stirring constantly so it doesn't scorch on the bottom. 

When ready, pour over the potato mixture evenly.  cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours..I uncover the last 1/2 hour so the top browns a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment