Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Swedish/American Meatballs

SWEDISH/AMERICAN MEATBALLS:

I tried this recipe last night because I had a hankering for some meatballs and mashed potatoes like I used to have in the "olden" days.  I really thought they were good, so posting this recipe with the additions I made to flavor them up.  You can triple the meatball portion and freeze the cooked meatballs to use in other recipes also.  I kind of wish I had done that to pull them out for meatball subs and other quick meals, but will next time for sure.

FOR THE MEATBALLS:
1 pound lean hamburger
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
about 1 Tablespoon finely minced onion
1 garlic clove minced finely
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

Mix all ingredients together well (I used my hands).  Form into one inch balls. I used my cookie scoop.  Place onto cookie sheets and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  Make sure they are cooked thoroughly.

In the meantime:  Make the sauce:

SAUCE:
In a large fry pan:
On low heat: melt 2 Tablespoons of butter, add a little minced onion and simmer until soft/clear.  Add 1/4 cup flour and whisk until creamy.  Slowly add 1 cup half and half and 1 cup beef broth (I used one cup water and Better than bouillion beef flavored base).  keep whisking so it doesn't get lumpy over medium low heat.  Add 1 Tbsp sour cream, a little garlic powder, black pepper, and a small amount of Western dressing.  check for salt-I didn't need any, but adjust seasoning if needed. Once incorporated dump in meatballs and stir to coat.  Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes.  I used Simply potatoes mashed potatoes because we like them and they are easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment