Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

CARROT, ZUCCHINI, PINEAPPLE BUNDT CAKE

A coworker of mine brought in a GIANT zucchini she had found growing in her compost pile this last week.  No one wanted it so she brought it to me to see if I'd make something with it.  I kind of looked at it begrudgingly, but, because I hate wasting things so much, I took it and made this bundt cake for work on Monday.  I actually was going to make two recipes, but got too busy finishing up my Frida crochet project finally-picture will be on another post, and didn't have time to make two, but I will be making the second one and posting about that soon.  Everyone absolutely loved this cake..I put it in the breakroom and it was gone within an hour and people were coming in complaining it was gone because they wanted more!  It's definitely one to make if you want to use some zucchini.  very moist, dense and flavorful.  Here's the recipe with my  changes.

CARROT, ZUCCHINI, PINEAPPLE BUNDT CAKE:

3 cups white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in it's own juice (drained, but reserving syrup)
1 cup brown sugar
4 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups cleaned and shredded carrots
1 cup peeled and shredded zucchini

For glaze: 3/4 cup powdered sugar (or make cream cheese frosting instead of glaze)  I made a glaze and put toasted coconut chips on mine (this recipe would be good with some coconut inside it too!)

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  whisk together drained pineapple, brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla in a large bowl  until smooth. 
3.  Add flour, white sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ginger, kind of tossing together with a whisk and then combining to the #1 ingredients until combined well.  don't over mix.
4.  Pour batter into a well greased and floured bundt cake pan..(I use the baking spray with the flour right in it and spray well).
5.  Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes. 
6.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a rack.  remove cake from pan and cool on wire rack until completely cool, about 30+ minutes.

For the glaze put powdered sugar in a bowl and slowly add the reserved pineapple juice until a spreadable glaze forms.  drizzle over the cooled cake and add toasted coconut if desired.  I only used a partial amount of the glaze because I didn't want it making the cake soggy on the bottom when it dripped down, but you could use some waxed paper pieces under the cake and pull them out once the glaze stays put. 



No comments:

Post a Comment