Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Mini Meatball Subs

I have been craving a meatball sub for a few weeks, so tonight I decided I'd make some since I had part of a loaf of Italian bread to use up.  I now have my craving satisfied for a few months again!  Here's how I made them. 

MINI MEATBALL RECIPE:

1 lb of hamburger (I used the 85% lean one)
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs-you can use whole wheat ones, but I used regular)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1/4 cup finely minced onion (it can be caramelized before adding too if you don't like raw onion in meatballs)
1 minced clove of garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together well.  Using a small ice cream scoop, about 1 inch to 1-1/2 inch, make mini meatballs.  browning on medium heat in a pan sprayed with Pam, on all sides well.  Cover with a small jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce-I used Prego- and let them simmer on low heat so meatballs are completely cooked inside. 

In the meantime slice a loaf of Italian bread in half.  Scoop out some of the insides making a "bowl" inside each half. Smear with butter that has some garlic added lightly and broil until it's somewhat browned and toasty. Watch it carefully so you don't burn it..it doesn't take long. Remove from broiler and add some of the meatball and sauce mixture into the "well" you made in the bread on each half.  Cover with mozzarella cheese and also a little cheddar cheese if desired and return to the broiler and melt and lightly brown the cheese..add a sprinkling of grated parmesan before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment