Search This Blog

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Karen's Bolognaise sauce recipe

Okay, I know this is another "Florida" post, but they ARE coming to an end, I promise..

One of the meals Karen made for use was a newer recipe of hers .Hearty Fettuccini Bolognaise Sauce..it took her literally hours to make, but both Joe and I liked it a lot, so I bugged her and she finally gave me the recipe just before I left.  I have been wanting it a second time and today decided it was a good day to do it because I was going to be home all day and I had the energy to make it..a win-win situation.  I will be giving it out to my daughter, Kim, for their supper tonight too because it makes a big batch.  Here's the recipe and how I changed it (some of which Karen did too)

HEARTY FETTUCCINI BOLOGNAISE SAUCE:

1/4 cup olive oil
2 small, or 1 large, onion chopped (finely)
2 cups (4 stalks) celery chopped small
1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 large or 3 smaller)
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used a heaping tsp of jarred chopped garlic)
1/2 lb ground veal (we used lean hamburger)
1/2 lb ground pork
3/4 lb (12 ounces package) mild Italian sausage
6 ounces pancetta bacon diced (we used bacon)
2-14.5 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid (I squished them as I put each one in)
1 (14.5 ounce can chicken broth)  I used chicken base and 14.5 ounces of water
1/2 cup whole milk
5 tsp chopped Italian flat leaf parsley (I used 1 tsp dried parsley)
5 Tbsp chopped basil (I used 3 teaspoons dried basil)
5 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (I used a scant tsp dried thyme)
pepper to taste and small amount of salt if desired (be careful with the salt)
1 pound fettuccini prepared according to directions (we used linguine because it's smaller)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1) Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium heat.  Saute onions, celery, carrots and garlic until tender, about 10 minutes.  increase heat to high and add meats, cook until meat is evenly brown.

2) Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, milk, parsley, basil, and thyme.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for 2-1/2 hours, stir occasionally, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon as you stir.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Cook pasta according to package directions to al dente stage.  drain.

Serve tettuccini topped with sauce and Parmesan cheese. 

Meat sauce after simmering for 1/2 hour..most of the liquid disappears by the end of the cooking time so it's thick and meaty.
 
The finished product, ready to deliver some to my mom, my kid Kim and one for me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment