Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Deb's yummy Serbian Soup

My neighbor in the cube next to me has brought this soup in for potlucks a couple of times.  It is so great when the weather is cold like it is right now.  I just crave it and made a batch tonight so I could freeze some for my lunches at work.  It really warms up your whole insides and it's filling besides.  A meal in one kettle!

Deb's Serbian Cabbage and Smoked Sausage Soup:

In a large kettle:
melt 2 Tablespoons butter
add 1/2 small onion finely chopped and 2 minced garlic cloves..
cook until tender.

add:
1 can drained kidney beans or black beans drained and rinsed.
6 cups water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon or comparable
1 smoked sausage circle (I used beef smoked sausage, but prefer turkey smoked sausage) diced in small pieces
2 cups diced potatoes (sometimes I use baby reds that are rinsed and quartered)
(I added one diced carrot for color)

simmer for 15 minutes

then add:
1/4 to 1/2 cup catsup
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 cups diced cabbage-(she uses the cole slaw mix in the bag)
about one Tablespoon or so of sugar and a little salt and lots of pepper
simmer an addition 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment